India Cardiac Surgery Site is associated with experienced cardiologists to deliver the perfect treatment and recuperative plan. Before the surgery, we will educate the patient with every fact involved in surgery and maintain the transparency in procedure, facilities and the related costs. We provide quality services and also assists with arrangements by keeping the concerns of the international patients in mind, providing you the utmost care and professionalism.
How to Get Started?
Planning your medical trip to India is a very simple process with India Cardiac surgery site
1. You just need to fill in our enquiry form and one of our executives will contact you soon.
2. +91-9370586696 Call us at the given contact number for any assistance.
3. Complete information regarding surgery is provided on our website.
What is Cardiomegaly?
A cardiomegaly or an enlarged heart is a medical condition in which the heart is enlarged. It may have various causes but, often it is the result of high blood pressure (hypertension) or the coronary artery disease. An enlarged heart may not pump the blood effectively, resulting in congestive heart failure. Cardiomegaly may improve over time, but most people with an enlarged heart needs lifelong treatment with medications.
Types of Cardiomegaly:
The heart enlarges in response to the damage of the heart muscle. Up to a point, an enlargement permits the heart to continue pumping the blood normally. But as the enlargement progresses, the pumping ability of the heart declines.
Dilated cardiomyopathy is the main type of cardiomegaly where the walls of both the left and right side of the heart (ventricles) become thin and stretched. This results in an enlarged heart..
In other types of enlarged heart, the muscular left ventricle of the heart becomes abnormally thick. High blood pressure causes the left ventricular enlargement, also called as hypertrophy, while the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is an inherited condition. Generally speaking, the pumping ability of the heart is preserved better, when the enlarged heart is thick rather than thin.
Check out the Patient Testimonial, where the patient shares about their success stories from treatments through India Cardiac Surgery Consultants.
Causes of Cardiomegaly:
The most common causes of an enlarged heart include the blockages in the blood supply (coronary heart disease) and high blood pressure.
Other causes of cardiomegaly include:
- Abnormal heart valve
- Viral infection of the heart
- Kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Pregnancy with enlarged heart developing around the time of delivery (peripartum cardiomyopathy)
- HIV infection
- Alcohol or cocaine abuse
- Genetic and inherited conditions
Frequently, when no cause for an enlarged heart is identified, then it is known as idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.
Most often, cardiomegaly or an enlarged heart causes no symptoms. If an enlarged heart becomes unable to pump the blood effectively, the symptoms of a congestive heart failure can develop.
- Palpitations or skipped heartbeats
- Shortness of breath (especially with exertion or when lying flat)
- Increased abdominal girth
- Leg swelling
- Weight gain
- Chest pain
The symptoms of cardiomegaly may vary widely in people. Some people may never have symptoms while others may have mild symptoms that remain unchanged for years. Some people may experience steadily worsening shortness of breath.
After a person discusses the symptoms of a congestive heart failure, cardiomegaly may be discovered. Other times, it may be discovered in people without any symptoms who gets a test for other reasons. Doctors may ask your medical history to get the initial clues regarding the presence of cardiomegaly. He/she may perform a physical exam wherein, the doctor will use the stethoscope to listen the abnormal sounds that are produced by the enlarged heart.
- Echocardiography: Also known as the ultrasound of the heart, it is the preferred test to diagnose an enlarged heart. It can accurately measure the heart’s size, pumping function and muscle thickness. There is no pain or risk from an echocardiogram. In certain cases, it can actually suggest the potential causes for a cardiomegaly.
- Cardiac catherization: This procedure is used to detect the blockages in the coronary arteries, the pumping function and size of the heart is checked.
- Chest X-ray: The dilated cardiomyopathy is a type of cardiomegaly, produces an abnormally large shadow on a chest X-ray film.
- CT scans and MRIs: They help to diagnose an enlarged heart in certain situations.
- Blood tests: These are done to check the causes of an enlarged heart like:
- Thyroid disease
- Congestive heart failure
- HIV or other viral infection
- Biopsy: Your doctor may recommend taking a small tissue sample from inside your heart to determine the cause of cardiomegaly.
The treatments for cardiomegaly focuses on the underlying cause such as:
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart valve disease
- Alcohol, drug or medication use
Other treatments like medication treatment and the medical/surgical procedures focus on improving the symptoms and maintaining the heart function. Below are some treatment options for individuals with cardiomegaly:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors: It lowers your blood pressure and improves the pumping ability of your heart.
- Diuretics: To lower the amount of sodium and water in your body that can help to lower the pressure in your arteries and heart.
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs): It provides the benefits of ACE inhibitors for those who can’t take the ACE inhibitors.
- Digoxin: It helps to improve the pumping function of your heart and lessen the need for hospitalization due to heart failure.
- Beta blockers: It lowers the blood pressure and improves your heart function.
- Anti-arrhythmics: It helps to keep your heart beating with a normal rhythm.
- Anticoagulants: It reduces the risk of blood clots that could cause a heart attack or stroke.
Medical Devices to Regulate Your Heart Beat:
Pacemaker: It coordinates the contractions between the left and right ventricle. Individuals who are at risk of serious arrhythmias, the drug therapy or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) may be used. ICDs are small devices implanted in your chest to constantly monitor your heart rhythm and deliver the electrical shocks when required to control the rapid, abnormal heartbeats. These devices may also work as a pacemaker.
- Coronary bypass surgery: If your cardiomegaly is related to the coronary artery disease, then you may opt for the coronary bypass surgery.
- Heart valve surgery: If your enlarged heart is caused due to problems in one of your heart valves, then surgery is required to remove the valve and replace it with either an artificial valve or a tissue form cow, pig or a deceased human donor. If the blood leaks backward through your valve, then the leaky valve may be surgically repaired or replaced.
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD): This implantable mechanical pump helps your weak heart pump. Often, the LVAD are implanted while you wait for a heart transplant or if you are not a heart transplant as a long-term treatment for the heart failure.
- Heart transplant: If the medications can’t control your symptoms, then a heart transplant is often a final option.
Why Prefer India for Cardiomegaly Treatments?
With the increasing number of world class hospitals and healthcare centers, India has become one of the most preferred medical tourism destination. The highly expanding infrastructure, lower medical expenses and the availability of the cardiomegaly treatments at cheaper price attract the foreign patients to seek treatments in India. Indian heart surgeons and consultants are renowned all over the globe for their expertise and highly skilled professionalism in handling the complex cardiac cases. India Cardiac Surgery Consultants will help you find the best cardiac surgeon and hospital in India for treating the cardiomegaly along with the culture and sightseeing service at the most affordable package.
- What causes cardiomegaly?
- Cardiomegaly is usually the result of high blood pressure (hypertension) or coronary heart disease.
- What is the typical pulse of a person with an enlarged heart?
- There are many reasons for an enlarged heart. Whatever the reason, however, the heart rate (pulse) should be within the normal range (50-100 beats per minute). Well trained athletes may have a mildly enlarged heart and they may safely have a much slower heart rate.
- What Treatments are Available for Cardiomegaly?
- Treatments and management of Cardiomegaly may vary depending on the individual patient and the severity of the medical condition. Treatment options may include:
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator
- Left Ventricular Assist Device
- Beta Blockers
- Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Heart Transplant
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Is a person with cardiomegaly still fit for work?
- Cardiomegaly is a medical code word for heart enlargement. It is not a definitive diagnosis by itself. Being able to return to work depends upon the diagnosis and the type of work that is anticipated (sedentary office work or vigorous physical labor). You need to discuss this with your doctor.
- How do I make an appointment with the best heart surgeon in India?
- All you have to do is send us your medical report and be rest assured. We will choose the best suitable surgeon for you, after consulting the experts.
- Can I speak with the doctor before I come to India for treatment?
- You can talk to the doctor and satisfy all your medical queries. You can also send us your queries for answers from the top doctors.
- How will I get an Indian Medical Visa?
- To know about the procedure of getting an Indian Medical Visa, please go to our website where you will find all the details regarding the initial procedure. You can also send us a query regarding the same.
- I can only speak my native language?
- Yes. Many hospitals in India have language translators to help you communicate better and effortlessly with the doctors and medical staff.
- Can I choose my own hotels according to my budget?
- You can most definitely choose hotels as per your convenience to you and your budget.
If you are really seeking treatments for the Cardiomegaly, kindly fill up the form for a free consultation with our expert cardiologists. You will be provided with thorough analysis and suggestions regarding the Cardiomegaly treatments you are seeking for.
Click to Here Fill up our Enquiry Form