India Cardiac Surgery Site is associated with experienced cardiologists to deliver the perfect treatment and recuperative plan. Before the surgery, we will educate the patient with every fact involved in surgery and maintain the transparency in procedure, facilities and the related costs. We provide quality services and also assists with arrangements by keeping the concerns of the international patients in mind, providing you the utmost care and professionalism.
How to Get Started?
Planning your medical trip to India is a very simple process with India Cardiac surgery site
1. You just need to fill in our enquiry form and one of our executives will contact you soon.
2. +91-9370586696 Call us at the given contact number for any assistance.
3. Complete information regarding surgery is provided on our website.Click to Here Fill up our Enquiry Form
What is Atrioventricular Septal Defect – AV Canal?
Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India is a consortium of heart problems, paving way for defect in the centre of the heart. The condition occurs when there is a hole between the chambers of the heart and problems with the valves that regulate the flow of blood. Sometimes this defect occurs at the time of birth and this condition is associated with Down syndrome.
Atrioventricular Septal Defect allows extra blood flow to the lungs and this forces the heart to work overtime and causes the heart muscle to enlarge. If left untreated, it can cause high blood pressure in the lungs along with heart failure. Doctors are known to recommend surgery during the first year of life to close in the heart and to reconstruct the valves.
Classification of Atrioventricular Septal Defect – AV Canal (AVSD):
The heart is divided into four chambers, two on the right and two on the left. The right side moves the blood into vessels that lead into the lungs. This oxygen rich blood flows back to the left side of the heart and pumped into the aorta where the blood is circulated to the rest of the body. There are two types of Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD).
In partial Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD), there is a hole in the wall which separates the upper chambers of the heart. The valve between the upper and lower left chambers is known to have a defect that causes a certain amount of leakage.
In complete Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD), a large hole in the centre of the heart is observed and instead of separate valves on the right and the left side, there is a large valve between the upper and lower chambers. In hindsight the heart is forced to work extra time and it enlarges.
Check out the Patient Testimonial, where the patient shares about their success stories from treatments through India Cardiac Surgery Consultants.
Hello, this is Mercy Kaino from Kenya. We visited India for my baby’s surgery for atrioventricular septal defect through India Cardiac Surgery Consultants. During one of the pre-natal scans, my doctor diagnosed AVSD in my baby. I was quite worried with the diagnosis and was searching for a proper medical treatment. My friend suggested me to get an appointment for surgery in India, as they provide quality medical treatments and services at pocket-friendly prices. I browsed through the internet and came across your website. After contacting the, got my appointment fixed. An executive came to the airport to receive us and took us to the hospital. The staff gave a warm welcome and made us feel comfortable. The surgeon explained everything about the procedure that my child was to undergo. Everything went well. Their medical services were commendable. I am grateful for their dedicated efforts and wonderful support, I received during this difficult time. May God Bless You!
Problems with AVSD:
Some of the complications which are associated with Atrioventricular Septal Defect is as follows
- An enlargement of the heart is observed where an increased flow of blood is associated that forces the heart to work more than normal that causes it to enlarge.
- Heart defect – If untreated Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) results in the inability to pump out blood to meet the needs of the body.
- Respiratory tract infections- There can be a situation where there is recurrence of lung infections.
- Pulmonary hypertension- When the left ventricle of the heart weakens, and enough amount of blood cannot be pumped out, pressure builds up and is known to pack up blood through the lungs causing high blood pressure in the lungs
Signs & Symptoms of AVSD
Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India reviews indicates it can develop in two chambers of the heart (partial) or four chambers (complete). In both the scenarios extra blood circulates in the lungs. The signs along with symptoms usually develop in the first several weeks of life. They are similar to heart failure and they include
- Lack of appetite or fatigue
- Pale skin color or poor weight gain
- Rapid or difficulty in breathing.
The symptoms and the signs might not fully develop until the early childhood and complications may develop because of the defect.
Diagnosis of AVSD
During Free Consultation Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India it is observed that this deformity may be detected before birth with the help of ultrasound and special imaging of the heart. After birth, the signs and symptoms of Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) are noticed within the first few weeks. When listening to the heart beat of your kid, the doctor may notice an unusual sound (murmuring) that is caused by a turbulent blood flow. If your baby is experiencing these sorts of symptoms, the doctor may recommend
- Electrocardiogram- Electrical signals are recorded as they travel through the heart. The doctor can look out for patterns which indicate abnormal function of the heart
- Chest X ray- It can show images of an enlarged heart
- Echocardiogram- Sound waves produce live action images of the heart. Abnormal heart valves and abnormal blood flow will be deducted.
Treatment of AVSD
In terms of treatment, surgery is the only option left as far as treatment of complete and partial Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD). In this procedure the hole in the septum is closed with one or two patches.
When the heart defect is repaired successfully, the child will lead a normal life without any form of restrictions. However the child will lead following up on a regular basis with a cardiologist and in some cases, preventive antibiotics may be taken for certain dental and other surgical procedures if he or she has:
- Certain defects remain after surgery
- Received an artificial heart valve
Many people, who have undergone this surgery, do not need any additional form of surgery. Though certain complications like heart valve leaks may require some form of treatment. On the other hand, women who have had Atrioventricular Septal defect that was surgically corrected before any permanent damage of the lungs can indeed expect to have normal pregnancies. However, pregnancy is not recommended if you have had a serious form of lung damage. In this regard detailed evaluation by a cardiologist is needed before any attempt in pregnancy is made.
Adult and Adolescent Management
Caring for a child with a congenital heart defect can be challenging and a scary scenario. To make it easier:
- Seek support- Ask for help from the people around. You can have a word with the cardiologist of the child and look out for assistance which can help you
- Record the history of the patient- You need to note down the medications of the child, surgery and other procedures along with the date when they are performed. This information will be useful for the doctors who are not familiar with your baby.
- Take about the concerns- Many children who have undergone this surgery will have no limitations. But take with the cardiologist about activities which are safe for the child. It will also help the transition of the child from pediatric to adult doctors.
Although each situation is different, one needs to understand that many clients with congential heart defects grow up to lead healthy lives.
Why choose an Indian Hospital for Atrioventricular Septal Defect Surgery?
If you are on the lookout for Affordable Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India, the hospitals offer you endless options. A host of reasons could be attributed to this. First of all India has a large English speaking population. All hospitals who have dedicated wings dealing with international patient care have teams that are proficient in English. In the case if you are comfortable in interacting in your own language then you can rely on the services of a translator which most of these hospitals have. This is very important as one will be taking informed decisions related to their treatment. You will be made aware of the risks associated with the surgery and then only will you give an informed consent. It is important that the details of the course of treatment are explained in the language in which the patient understands.
Most of the top notch hospitals provide these services under a single platform with the help of a dedicated international team. One should check the hospital, which they have chosen has an international patient care team. This would make it easier for the patient and the accompanying members to help them during their entire course of stay in India.
Cost for Treating Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India
Low cost Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) Surgery in India and quality are important points to ponder over when you choose specific destinations for treatment. But many patients consider the amenities provided in these destinations which will make their stay worthwhile. India for this main reason has overtaken the other south Asian countries like Singapore and Malaysia. Though these countries are rich in terms of technology, and have some of the latest equipments in the medical domain, where India scores over them is in terms of human capital. India has some of the highly efficient and skilled manpower in the world.
Arguably India has the lowest cost among all the medical tourist destinations, and the low cost is prevalent here, because of the low operating costs along with low conversation rates. When one decides to undertake treatment in India, savings to the tune of 30 % to 60 % is made when one compares to the advanced super powers of the world like the United States or United Kingdom. This extra savings in cost can be used for more productive purposes like planning a trip to the beautiful tourist locations of the country. India is a country bestowed with natural beauty and one will be spoiled as far as the perfect destination is concerned.
So here’s wishing all the best as far as your medical treatment is concerned!
- What is Atrioventricular Septal Defect – AV Canal?
- Canal defect (also known as atrioventricular septal defect or endocardial cushion defect) means there is a large hole in the septum. The septum is the wall that separates the right and left sides of the heart. A canal defect may be classified as partial or complete. In a partial canal defect, either the upper (atrial) or lower (ventricular) part of the septum may be affected. A complete canal defect, which is more common, means that the hole is located where the upper (atrial) and lower (ventricular) parts of the septum meet. Illustration showing canal defect.Normally, the tricuspid valve directs blood from the upper-right chamber (the right atrium) to the lower-right chamber (the right ventricle), and the mitral valve allows blood to move from the upper-left chamber (the left atrium) to the lower-left chamber (the left ventricle). But with a complete canal defect, just one large hole and one valve are present, and the valve may not close all the way. This allows blood to flow in all directions inside the heart.
- What are the symptoms?
- Usually, the result is that too much blood flows to the lungs, and the heart becomes enlarged from working too hard. Infants with canal defect often have trouble breathing, and their bodies may not grow normally. A canal defect is often associated with Down syndrome.
- How is it treated?
- Surgery is usually done in the first few months after birth to correct a complete canal defect. The hole may be closed with one or two patches, and the single valve is split into two, making a tricuspid valve and a mitral valve.
- How do I make an appointment with the best cardiologist in India?
- All you have to do is send us your medical report and be rest assured. We will choose the best suitable surgeon for you, after consulting the experts.
If you are really seeking Atrioventricular Septal Defect – AV Canal Surgery, kindly fill up the form for a free consultation with our expert cardiologists. You will be provided with thorough analysis and suggestions regarding the Atrioventricular Septal Defect – AV Canal Surgery you are seeking for.
Click to Here Fill up our Enquiry Form