E-mail & appointment
E-mail id of Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer, Paediatric Cardiologist
Number for appointment with Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer: +91-9370586696
- M.B.B.S., from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 1978.
- M.S. (Gen. Surgery) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 1981.
- M.Ch. (CTVS) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 1984.
- Fellowship (Neonatal cardiac surgery) from Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, 1989.
Years of Experience
Dr. Krishna Iyer is one of India's top ranking paediatric cardiac surgeons, renowned for his clinical expertise and wide ranging involvement with the cardiac care for children in India and other developing countries. Dr. Iyer, the Best Paediatric Cardiac Surgeon in India has initiated the first dedicated paediatric cardiac care program in Northern India that is a pioneering initiative, at Escorts Heart Institute Research Centre (now Fortis-Escorts Heart Institute) in 1995. Under his guidance, a paediatric cardiac program has become the standard for cardiac care for children in India and its South East Asian neighbours. Dr. K S Iyer Fortis Escorts Hospital Delhi has operated on more than 10,000 babies, children and adults with congenital heart diseases, including various procedures like double switch operation TAPVC repairs, arterial switch procedure, corrections for tetralogy of Fallot, Fontan and Fontan type procedures, Truncus, DORV, etc.
Senning operation, conduit repairs and a wide range of one stage and multi-stage corrections for the complex congenital heart diseases. The best pediatric cardiologist in Delhi has performed original work on the rapid two-stage arterial switch procedure and also performed the first successful rapid two stage arterial switch and double-switch operation in India. His current interests are salvaging late presenters of congenital heart disease, perfecting complex neonatal cardiac surgery, cardiac surgery in malnourished infants and children and developing cost effective cardiac care for children in the developing countries. Dr. Iyer completed his M.B.B.S, M.S. (General Surgery) and M.Ch. (Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi. After completing his basic training, he joined the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery at AIIMS and was an Additional Professor at the time he moved to Escorts Heart Institute to set up its paediatric cardiac care division.
He is trained in paediatric and infant cardiac surgery under the guidance of the renowned paediatric cardiac surgeon, Dr. R.B.B.Mee, a Senior Fellow at the Department of Paediatric Cardiac Surgery at Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia in 1989. Since his return back to India, he has endeavoured to encourage the speciality of paediatric and congenital heart surgery in India, particularly in the non-governmental sector.
The Infant Heart Surgeon Escorts has contributed effectively to further know the cause of paediatric cardiac care through over a hundred research publications in both the national and international journals, also authored sections in medical books on paediatric and neonatal cardiac surgery and travelling to different cities across India and abroad for delivering lectures. He has been the founder President of Asia-Pacific Paediatric Cardiac Society and has also been President of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India. He is currently the Editor of the Indian Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery. The best child heart specialist in india is a permanent member of the Steering Committee of the World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, and the governing council member of the World Society of Congenital Heart Surgery and the Asian Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons
Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer, Delhi is invited international member of the American Association of Thoracic Surgeons. Considered as the best pediatric cardiac surgeon in Delhi, he is involved with many charities for underprivileged children, most remarkably the 'Gift of Life' program of Rotary International. During his academic career, Dr. KS Iyer has won many awards, including the Sorel Catherine Friemna Prize for proficiency in Paediatrics, the Institute Gold Medal for Best Graduate of the year at MBBS examination, Pfizer Postgraduate Medical Award, Hira Lal Gold Medal for being the best postgraduate in General Surgery and Gold Medal and Scroll of Honour. He was awarded the Doppler award for the best paper at the Sixth International Symposium on Echocardiography in Cardiac Surgery held in Washington D.C. in 1994. He has been designated as Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotary International Foundation for humanitarian services of children.
- Founder member of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India.
- International member of the American Association of Thoracic Surgery.
- Governing Council member of the World Society of Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Fellow and Life member of the Indian Association of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeons.
- Vice President of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India (2003-2005).
- Founder, President of Asia Pacific Paediatric Cardiac Society (2005-2006).
- President of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India (2005-2007).
- Permanent Member, Steering Committee for World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery (2009 onwards).
- Council member of the Asian Society of Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery.
- Member, Speciality Board of National Board of Examinations capture.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Indian Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Member, Editorial Board of the Annals of Paediatric Cardiology.
His interests include, surgical treatment of all forms of congenital heart disease in newborns to adults, including simple or complex. Expertise in surgery for complex transpositions, pulmonary hypertension late presenting CHD and complex neonatal surgery.
Research And Publication
- Invited as a speaker at several International Conferences. Delivered over 200 talks in National and International CME's and meetings.
- More than 150 publications in National and International Journals and 8 chapters in Textbooks.
Awards And Distinctions
- Secured National Merit Scholarship for the year 1971 - 1972 for commendable performance in the Indian School Certificate examination.
- Has been awarded an Institute Gold Medal for Best Graduate of the year of the MBBS examination in Dec.1977.
- Awarded Ganpatrao Chittre Scholarship for obtaining second rank in the Inter-Science examination of the Bombay University in April, 1972.
- Secured following awards in All India Institute of Medical Sciences between 1973 and 1977; Institute Merit Awards for securing highest grades in the following subjects:
- General Surgery
- Forensic Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Sardari Lal Kalra Gold Medal for proficiency in Microbiology in May 1976- Institute Merit Scholarship.
- Sorel Catherine Friedsman Prize for proficiency in Paediatrics in Dec.1977.
- Pfizer Postgraduate Medical award, Gold Medal and Scroll of Honour in 1979.
- Awarded Hira Lal Gold Medal for being the best postgraduate in General Surgery in Dec.1981.
- Choosen on merit amongst the worldwide applicants to attend a workshop on 'Basic aspects of Cardiac Surgery' organized by the International School of Medical Sciences, Ettore Majorana, in Erice, Italy in March, 1983.
- Has been recommended for honours at the M.Ch. Examination in Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery held on Dec. 1984.
- Awarded the Doppler award for best paper at the Sixth International Symposium on Echocardiography in Cardiac Surgery, held in Washington D.C. on Nov.1994.
- Awarded a Citation and Certificate of Appreciation for notable service and excellent contribution to EHIRC Dr A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, Honourable President of India on December 13th, 2002, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded and delivered the Dr. Armida Fernandez oration on 14th August 2005, in Mumbai.
- Awarded the Notable Service Award for outstanding contribution in the field of Clinical & Preventive Cardiology in the world by the World Congress on Clinical & Preventive Cardiology (WCCPC 2006) on September 22nd 24th, 2006, Mount Abu, Rajasthan, India.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for the selfless services rendered by the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee at Rajiv Bhavan, on December 9th 2006, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for the significant contribution at The 16th Asian Pacific Congress of Cardiology in December 13-16, 2007, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Awarded the Paul Harris Fellow in appreciation of tangible and significant aid given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world by The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International on 23rd Feb 2008, New Delhi (India).
- Awarded Dynamic Indian of the Millenium award by the KG Foundation, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu in August, 2009.
- Has been awarded and delivered Sadasivan Oration at the Annual Conference of the Association of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeons of India held in Kolkata in Feb, 2011.
- Delivered the Closing Plenary oration at the 6th World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery in Capetown, 2013.
VideoMitral Valve Repair for Congenital Mitral Valve Disease: Dr. K.S Iyer
Call Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer at: +91-9370586696
Email : drksIyer@indiacardiacsurgerysite.com